You will have two things to do over the summer:
1. Summer Reading for the 11th grade AP English Language and Composition course:
The Elements of Style (aka Strunk & White's The Elements of Style) by William Strunk and E.B. White.
The link to the online edition of the book is here. The book should also be available for purchase through Amazon.com or at Barnes and Noble.
2. Summer homework for the 11th grade AP English Language and Composition course: Write three commonplace books. The assignment and explanation are attached.
Directions for the homework:
- Read the assignment - it is attached as a file to this post.
- Choose three articles about a controversial issue from any mainstream news source: The Associated Press Wire, BBC, CNN, Fox News, Huffington Post, Reuters, The New York Times, The Washington Post etc.
- This means that you should avoid features articles.
- Remember, choose a controversial topic - you need to take a position, so "Kitty stuck in tree" is not going to help you see a position.
- Complete a commonplace book for each article. The assignment is attached.
Optional homework for The Elements of Style (aka Strunk & White's The Elements of Style) by William Strunk and E.B. White.
1. Please take the diagnostic quiz before reading. Check answers AFTER taking the quiz, and mark the items that you missed.
2. Please read and annotate the book, writing down and researching any questions that you have. Bring any unanswered questions to the first day of school.
3. Review your answers to the diagnostic quiz and then take the practice quiz.
4. Check your answers for the practice quiz. If you do not do better on the practice quiz than you did on the diagnostic quiz, re-read Strunk and White so that you can add to your list of questions OR memorize the appropriate grammar rules.